2011-12-08

BodPod

I first heard of the BodPod on some TV documentary I watched in regards to weight loss and metabolism. Apparently it is some machine you sit into and it is about to measure your RMR and body fat as well as lean mass. I googled BodPod in Ireland and found that a University in Dublin has one. Yay, that's in Dublin so not too far away. I had to take the morning off work and went to UCD.

So first the Doctor, if that is what you call him, took some of my details, such as weight, height, age and fitness level. Then I got changed into loose clothing, shorts and a tshirt, and also I put on what looks like a shower cap. Apparently hair can interfere with the test so you have to make sure its fully covered. Once this is done he takes your weight again and measures it against the contraption you will be sitting inside and completes some other tests on the machine for calibration.



Once he has completed this I sat in the Egg like machine, I was asked to breathe normally, remain completely still and focus on one point in front of me. This only lasted for a minute or so and was completed twice to make sure the test was accurate. Here are the results:

Weight: 60kg
Height: 150cm

RMR: 1070
Est Calorie Expenditure (Sedentary): 1327
Est Calorie Expenditure (Low Active): 1626
Est Calorie Expenditure (Active): 1862
Est Calorie Expenditure (Very Active): 2215

Fat %: 36.7%
Fat Free Mass %: 63.3%
Fat Mass: 22 kg
Fat Free Mass: 38kg

So my fat percentage is about 37% which puts me into the excess fat category and 40% is the risky category. My ultimate goal is to get to the lower end of 22-30% fat which means that I will be in the moderately lean category.

So I think this information is invaluable as the information gained from websites and calculators was so inaccurate and confusing it was nice to be tested in an individual way that is unique to me. I think that this information cost me €65.

No comments:

Post a Comment