2011-03-01

I did some more research... and got confused

I just did some research to see how many calories I should be consuming daily to lose weight and the results were very confusing. For my maintenance I got recommendations from 2420 calories to 1419 calories and to lose weight I got from 985 calories to 1920 calories. That's a thousand calorie difference! I am a 4' 11", Female, 23 years old, weigh 125lb and have a sedentary lifestyle (little to no exercise). Below are the results I got.

Maintenance 1475, 1816, 1775, 1814, 1625, 1684, 1642, 2420, 1633, 1544, 1686, 1751, 1419, 1871, 1683, 1475, 1633.

Weight Loss 1180, 1313, 1250, 1708, 1200, 1920, 1133, 1044, 1000, 985, 1314.

So what I decided to do was to add up the number and divide them to get the average. This has left we with a maintenance level of 1703 calories and a weight loss level of 1277 calories. I think this is where I should aim for now. Any comments welcome...

5 comments:

  1. Finding the perfect number is difficult, isn't it? It takes tweaking and time to get things just right. I'm still in the losing mode and I still don't have the magic number. lol

    For a long time I didn't have many followers. My blog is two years old now so I've got two years' worth of followers, many of which are no longer blogging.

    The way I got followers was by following and commenting. I spent about an hour or a bit more daily in the beginning reading blogs, connecting, enjoying and commenting. Lately I don't spend nearly so much time because it got overwhelming following so many. Plus the past several months I've been wrapped up in myself with the kidney stone / pain stuff. That fog is starting to clear and I'm hoping to get into a regular blog-reading routine again.

    Thanks for the nice comments at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was www.caloriecount.com one of the sites you used for research? Or www.livestrong.com (Lance Armstrong's website)? I've found both of those to be very accurate for my own goals, though I tend to eat less than they both think I should. I think your averages sound pretty good though I frequently take flack for eating less than 12,000 per day on my own blog. At any rate, the important thing to remember is that your journey is your own and your body will tell you what's best for it. If you find that your caloric estimate for loss is making you feel tired, weak, crappy, affecting your sleep, causing bags or circles under your eyes etc. then you need to listen to your body because it knows you better than anyone or any website in the world. :)

    I look forward to following your journey! Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. At 4' 11" and weighing 125 pounds why so you want to lose weight ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi AlmostGastricBypass thanks for commenting, at 125lb I'm still just slightly out of my recomended BMI range. I started at 135 lb and was going up quickly. I decided to lose the weight before it becomes a real issue. So at the moment I'm trying to get to the lower to mid of my BMI range. Im doing it to be healthy and happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that 1200 is a nice number to make a calorie goal to lose weight. It was mine! :)

    Keep in mind that the closer you get to a normal BMI, the harder it will be to take off weight. Your body knows what it needs! When I first started dieting I had 40 pounds to lose...it came off so easily! Then at the end when I only had 10 to lose...it came off so slowly! I was lucky to lose a pound a week at that point. Frustrating, but it is what it is.

    ReplyDelete